Gallbladder Disease in Ocean Springs, MS
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
The gallbladder is an organ in the body that stores and regulates the release of bile to help facilitate the digestive process. The term gallbladder disease pertains to various problems and diseases that harm the gallbladder. These conditions include:
- Sclerosing cholangitis: Ongoing inflammation and damage to the bile duct network that causes scarring
- Acalculous gallbladder disease: When the gallbladder becomes inflamed in the absence of gallstones
- Cholecystitis: An gallbladder inflammation that is often caused by gallstones. In time, the gallbladder can shrink and lose its capacity to secrete bile.
- Biliary dyskinesia: Decreased gallbladder function
- Choledocholithiasis: A condition where a gallstone becomes trapped in the exit passageway of the gallbladder. If this occurs, the gallbladder could become inflamed.
- Gallstones: Hard particles that can impede the route to the gallbladder and bile ducts
If you develop a gallbladder concern like any of the conditions listed here, you should have a skilled gastroenterologist helping you through the treatment process. At Digestive Health Center, we can ensure you get the services you seek. To receive treatment for gallbladder disease in Ocean Springs, MS, please contact our team today to request an appointment at a location near you.
What causes gallbladder disease?
Many gallbladder issues come from the formation of gallstones, which develop when cholesterol and other materials found in the liver bile clot and create hard stone-like particles. A patient also may have tumors that keep the bile from emptying normally, blood vessel concerns, or infection. Whatever the source of your gallbladder disease, you can find professional help at a local Digestive Health Center near you. Our team can assess your gallbladder condition and help you find the ideal treatment method.
What are common symptoms of gallbladder disease?
Common symptoms of gallbladder disease may include:
- Throwing up
- Pain that radiates to your back or right shoulder
- Abdomen tender to the touch
- Severe abdominal pain, especially in your center or upper right abdomen
If you notice one or more of these digestive symptoms, don't hesitate to reach out to a Digestive Health Center location near you to request a consultation.
How is gallbladder disease treated?
The optimum strategy to prevent the risk of gallstones is to ensure you stay a ideal weight, reduce your weight progressively if advised, and incorporate healthy habits. Certain gallbladder diseases can be diagnosed by a simple ultrasound. In some cases, your doctor might advise having additional images like a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computed tomography (CT) scan. When treatment for gallbladder disease is needed, treatment options may involve:
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Fasting (this can allow your inflamed gallbladder to rest and minimize inflammation)
- Pain medications
- Medications to help dissolve gallstones
If you or a loved one need treatment for gallbladder disease in Ocean Springs, MS, our team can help you investigate your options for care.
Innovative treatment for gallbladder disease
Gallbladder conditions, such as gallstones, biliary dyskinesia, and cholecystitis, can be identified and treated by a skilled digestive health provider at Digestive Health Center. If you notice symptoms involving your gastrointestinal health, it is important for you to contact a gastroenterology provider in your community to be examined for conditions like gallbladder disease. As a physician-led network of gastroenterologists, our practice is equipped with the latest innovative treatment options for patients experiencing gallbladder disease. To locate an expert gastroenterologist who offers care for gallbladder disease in Ocean Springs, MS, please contact a location in your community today.
Great Doctor walked in talking to my dad as if he'd known him all his life and then he mentioned why he does what he does ...the Lord! This is the Doctor that will do my Dads procedure....Wonderful man.
went in for visit, good feeling upon arrival, very professional and informative about my childs condition, will be back for follow up and annuals.
Dr. Is awesome. The wait to get in and while there sucks.
When I need care I can depend on the whole staff to be caring, efficient and respectful. I would recommend this group of doctors, nurses and give them the highest rating.
Excellent GI doctor! He has done all of my colonoscopies with utmost professionalism. Highly recommend Dr. McKee and his team.